Hospitals have many expenses, all of which are important to running a highly efficient operation that provides the best patient care possible.
Hospitals are often wasting money on telecom expenses. Some of which may be unnecessary. Let’s focus on two ideas::
- Ways to save money.
- How to adjust the service without compromising quality and performance.
Costs on the Rise
Telecom services are having increasing cost. The right system is imperative to providing a good communication experience, but why overpay to get what you need.
A recent article by Telesoft discussed some of the potential causes of rising costs, including the fact that “employees are consuming more voice and data services or bandwidth than ever.”
Ways to fight against rising costs:
- Purchase the right type of plan
- Implementing an employee accountability program – will allow hospitals to better understand the telecom costs associated with each business unit.
Technology is Your Friend
Some hospitals are still relying on outdated phone systems that cause a variety of issues. Every hospital should be utilizing technology to ensure that calls are directed to the appropriate party. Not only does this make for a more efficient experience for the caller, but it also helps the hospital save time.
Now’s the time to make sure certain parts of your system are up to date including:
- Interactive voice response system.
- Voicemail, including the message that provides the caller with additional information.
- Correct management of monitoring capabilities.
It’s also essential to understand which lines receive the highest call volume. With this data, you can make the necessary adjustments to ensure that one line is not overwhelmed.
Think about it this way: do you get frustrated when you call a company and have to wait on hold to reach the appropriate department?
Hospitals can’t afford to miss calls or put people off. The implementation of advanced technology is a must.
Telecom Automation works for many reasons:
- It can save the hospital time and money.
- It can free up employees to focus on more important tasks.
- It can ensure a higher level of service.
Here are five tips to follow:
- Automate the simplest process first, as this will give you an idea of how to proceed and what to expect along the way.
- Make sure the appropriate people, such as a particular department, are onboard with the idea of automation. For this to work, everybody must embrace the change.
- Start small as to avoid big issues. When you attempt to automate everything at once, it’s possible to cause more harm than good. Starting small, such as with one business unit, allows you to get your feet wet and pinpoint problem areas.
- Focus on results. It’s one thing to implement a telecom automation plan. It’s another thing entirely to focus on the results and determine if the steps you have taken were worth the time, money, and effort.
- Choose the right technology partner(s). Telecom automation is not something you do internally. To achieve success, it’s a must that you bring the right technology partner into the fold.
Is Your Telecom Bill too High?
Most hospitals that review their telecom expenses soon find that they are spending entirely too much money.
Consider this statistic shared by i-Techsupport:
“Studies show that an average 7% to 25% in telecom savings can be found on the first audit alone.”
In other words, if you’re spending $10,000 per month on telecom services, your savings could range anywhere from $700 to $2,5000.
In addition to saving money, there are other benefits of conducting a telecom audit:
- The opportunity to gain a better understanding of what you are getting for your money.
- Improve profits through the reduction of monthly expenses and the use of refunds.
- Eliminate unauthorized charges (and possibly fraud).
- Find new ways to improve the current system.
Some hospitals never take the time to conduct a telecom audit as they don’t fully understand the benefits.
Telecom expenses have a way of adding up in a hospital setting. By taking a few key steps – such as conducting an audit and implementing automation – it’s possible to save time and money while maintaining a high level of quality and performance.